Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Hawaiian Meatloaf

Before I sat down to enjoy my meatloaf the other night, some great news came my way.  My wonderfully talented daughter, Arielle, is on the Dean's List!  I'm so proud of her.  Her future is so bright.  It will be exciting to see where all this takes her.

So, before I start going on and on about my fabulous daughter, because I can go non-stop - yes, she's that awesome, here is my meatloaf recipe:

Hawaiian Meatloaf       

Combine all of these in a mixer.  (I like using a mixer because it mixes much better than using my hands):

1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp sage
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 pound hamburger
1 egg
1/2 cup of canned crushed pineapple (save the juice for the sauce)
1 finely chopped onion
2 tsp pineapple juice (from can)
1 cup plain bread crumbs
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Mix until well blended.  Transfer to a metal loaf pan and cook for one hour at 350-degrees*.
Take out of oven and pour sauce over the top.


Sauce   

Combine in a saucepan:

2 tbsp corn starch
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
3 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp minced garlic

Heat on medium low until thick and bubbly.  Pour over the meatloaf and put back in the oven for 10 more minutes.

I served this with mashed potatoes, gravy and corn on the cob.  Not our usual dinner, but this was sweet comfort food at its best. 


*I always put two pieces of bread, usually the ends because no one in my family eats them, underneath the meatloaf.  It soaks up all the grease.  Just remember to discard them before you serve the meatloaf.

No comments: