Thursday, January 8, 2009

Kennedy Castles

We were sad to say goodbye to our Scottish rental. It was so warm and comfy. We were off to Prestwick, just south of Glasgow to visit some castles. I'm facinated with the Scottish Kennedy Clan because somewhere on my centuries old family tree I have a branch that links me to these people.

Our first stop was at Culzean Castle. I wanted to visit this one the most because I've heard a lot about it, and the person who built it, David Kennedy, shares my father's name.

It's very grand, and now belongs to the Scottish Heritage Trust.


The Castle



The Carriage House



The Battery


Next, we visited the first Kennedy Castle at Dunure. It's just ruins now. It was originally built in the 1200s.




The family history is intriguing. Here is a brief history.

No comments: